Monday, March 2, 2009

Wedding Cakes


The reception of a wedding is one of the most thought about and planned event in a girls life. Some girls spend their whole lives looking through magazines and now on the internet planning their perfect day. I never was one of those girls - not to say I didn't want to be, I just wasn't. I never looked at wedding dress pictures or thought about a ring. However, I have since made up for that, now that I am in the wedding business. I pour through books, and magazines, and websites trying to get new ideas for displays and presentations, and every once in awhile I will get a twinge of "oh that would be really fun to have". The one thing that really peaks my interest is the wedding cake. Wedding cakes are one of the most recognizable and intriguing parts of a wedding reception. These days, the wedding cake is not only a piece of dessert, it is a work of art and people are getting so creative with them! There are so many new and exciting flavors out there and I love how people can design their cakes to match their wedding theme and decorations - even down to the exact color and prints!

It is interesting to see how far wedding cakes have come. It is believed that the wedding cake began as loaves of wheat bread, which was broken over the brides head. The crumbs that fell on the ground were symbolic of good luck and fertility. In the middle ages, each guest brought a simple biscuit or scone, which were piled up and the bride and groom had to reach over the pile and kiss to bring them good luck. In the seventeenth century, french bakers began to stack buns on top of each other and coat them with icing. This is believed to be how our wedding cakes started to look like they do. Fascinating! ( I got this information on http://www.cakechannel.com/history-of-wedding-cakes.html)

We learn something everyday! Thanks for reading and check out our website at www.sauceyscatering.com

No comments:

Post a Comment